Social media is all about engaging content. IGTV video is a great opportunity to build high engagement levels among many other features that Instagram provides since it has lots of upsides.
Nowadays, with people spending more time watching online videos, it’s no surprise that some social media, including Instagram, are popular worldwide.
The Instagram platform now has over 1 billion users. So, making the most of all its features, including IGTV video is key to success whether you are a solo entrepreneur or even the head of a multinational business or brand.
In this article, you can take the chance to dive into the answers to all your questions related to IGTV video in order to make IGTV video work for your Instagram account engagement.
What is IGTV?
Instagram TV, which we all know as IGTV, is a stand-alone app that its basic functionality is also available within the Instagram app and website.
This feature allows users to share long-form videos on Instagram. Besides, any user can set up their own channel and share video content up to an hour-long for larger accounts.
At first, IGTV only supported vertical video, but now it is immersive. It supports both vertical and horizontal videos, which was a big part of its launch because it makes the process of watching videos more enjoyable.
So when you and your followers tune in, you have both options to watch your IGTV video either horizontally or vertically.
It should be noted that there are some possible ways to watch IGTV videos. You can simply watch them by clicking on the IGTV icon at the top of your feed in the Instagram app, or you can download the standalone app for iOS or Android. In addition, you are able to watch videos from the IGTV icon on Instagram profiles.
How to create your IGTV channel?
The very first thing you need before sharing your video is to create your IGTV channel. Luckily, Instagram has made IGTV super easy and simple to use. All you need to do is just complete the process of creating your TV channel in just a few clicks.
There are two ways to create your IGTV channel, you can either download IGTV App, or use the Instagram Explore page.
Creating your IGTV channel using the IGTV App
The first way is to download the IGTV App in order to log in with your account credential, so that the app syncs with your account, allowing you to upload, watch, and share your IGTV videos. Here are the steps to create your IGTV channel using the app.
- First of all, download the IGTV app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Sign in to the IGTV App (available in iOS and Android). If you are already logged into your native Instagram account, it will automatically use your profile.
- Next, click on the settings gear icon in the right–hand corner, and then click create channel.
- Voila! Here’s your channel, ready to upload your video.
Creating your IGTV channel using the Instagram Explore page
If for whatever reason, you don’t want to download the App, don’t worry; there is an alternative. You can easily upload your first video from the Instagram Explore page and then create your channel. Here are the steps.
- At first, tap the IGTV button at the top of the Explore page
- Tap the + symbol on the top right corner
- After that, your camera roll will open up, and then you can select your first video to share on IGTV.
Note: After posting your first video, a new tab dedicated to just your IGTV videos will appear on your Instagram profile.
How to create an IGTV video?
Before we start shooting and sharing an IGTV video, knowing some technical specs is of great importance. Let’s take a quick look at these specs.
Video format: MP4
Video length: An IGTV video must be at least 1 minute long. Moreover, the maximum length your video can be is 15 minutes when uploading from a mobile device and 60 minutes when uploading from the web.
According to Instagram itself, IGTV’s maximum video length is 60 minutes or 1 hour under two conditions, whether you have a verified Instagram account or you have an account with a lot of followers.
Video size: 650MB for videos less than 10 minutes, 3.6MB for videos up to 60 minutes.
Orientation: vertical (portrait) or horizontal (landscape)
- Vertical aspect ratio: 9:16
- Horizontal aspect ratio: 16:9
Dimension: Your IGTV dimension should be 1080 x 1920 pixels or an aspect ratio of 9:16, which is the same size as Instagram story dimensions.
Note: These dimensions work well if you upload videos on the IGTV platform, but when it comes to IGTV preview in your feed, bear in mind that the video is cut down to 4:5 ratio. If it’s important to show the entire video in your IGTV preview, the IGTV dimensions you should consider using are as follows.
Resolution: The minimum resolution for your IGTV video is 720 pixels.
Framerate: The minimum frame rate is 300 FPC (frames per second)
Note: You can use most professional video editing software applications to export your video using these specifications. However, if you just want to convert the video to Instagram’s format, you can use a free online converter.
5 IGTV video ideas
Despite the fact that so far we’ve seen businesses use IGTV videos to share how-tos and tutorials, actually, there is no limit to what you can post on IGTV, just like Instagram stories.
As a business, creating content for your IGTV video to create value for your audience and your brand is key to success in growing your Instagram account and your brand.
If you consider creating content for your IGTV a struggle, let’s go through the best IGTV video ideas for your channel.
Whether this is a new product or bestseller, you can take advantage of your IGTV video to showcase the product introduction to your followers.
Behind the scenes
Looking for a way to boost customer loyalty? Then give your followers the opportunity to see what goes behind your products, projects, and day-to-day activities.
You can use your IGTV video to educate and inform your audience about your new features, to answer commonly asked questions, and more.
Tutorials / DIYs
If your followers have ordered one of your products or they’re considering a purchase, then it’s time to use your IGTV video to educate them on the products.
Long-form video content (IGTV) is perfect for tutorials due to the fact that you don’t need to feel rushed to share a technique or a how-to.
Create a series
Creating a series of videos is undoubtedly one of the most popular trends on Instagram TV. Let’s create a series of videos on a specific category or theme to stay consistent and grow your audience with every new video. (we’ll cover how to create one below)
How to upload videos on IGTV?
If you are one of those people wondering how to upload videos to IGTV, there is nothing to worry about since, luckily, Instagram has made the process super easy.
According to the Instagram announcement, channels on IGTV are a lot like regular ones; the major difference is that the creators are the channels on IGTV.
In the following post, we explain how to upload your IGTV video in just some simple steps.
Steps to upload your IGTV video using the Instagram app home page
Step 1: As we said above, the first step to be able to upload an IGTV video is to create your channel. You have two possible ways to do so, either using the IGTV App or the Instagram app itself.
Step 2: with your IGTV channel set up, it’s time to upload your first video. Navigate to your channel by tapping on your avatar from the main page.
Step 3: Tap the + icon in the right-hand corner, and then from the open window, choose IGTV video to add video to your channel.
Step 4: Select a video from your camera roll. Once you are promoted to upload your video from your camera roll, pay careful attention to the terms of specs that Instagram recommends for creating your content.
Step 5: Your IGTV video needs both a title and description, just like YouTube. On the plus side, you can also write any relevant description that truly supports the topic of your video in order to make it easier for people to find your videos on IGTV.
Your description can include hashtags, tagging other Instagram accounts, and also clickable links to be taken to a webpage outside of the Instagram or the IGTV App.
Step 6: Add a 1- minute preview of your IGTV video to your Instagram feed.
Step 7: Add a cover photo. You can either upload your own custom cover photo or choose a thumbnail from your video. You’d better make your cover photo catchy since it is what will show up on your channel page and in IGTV categories.
Note: Instagram recommends an aspect ratio of 1:1.55 (or 420px by 654px) for your cover photo.
Step 8: Click the post button to upload your IGTV video. But everything doesn’t end here, you need to monitor how much engagement the video gets and reply to your comments on your post and track your IGTV analytic.
Step 9: View your IGTV video analytic. All you have to do is to tap the ellipsis (… icon) beside the like, comment, and share buttons on your IGTV video. From here, you can simply click on view insights to see your engagement stats, including views, likes, and comments.
Note: You can also delete your video here if you feel the need.
Your IGTV analytic includes retention rate ( which is how many people watched your video all the way to the end) furthermore, it includes a drop-off graph (which shows you at what point people are swiping away from your video.
How you can upload an IGTV video using the Instagram Explore page
As we said, you can also use the Instagram app explore page to upload your IGTV video; here are the steps to take to do so.
Step 1: Go to your Explore page
Step 2: Tap IGTV on the top left-hand corner
Step 3: Tap the plus icon on the top right-hand corner to choose a video from your gallery.
Step 4: Click Next, then choose a cover image either from the gallery or the video itself. After that, tap Next again.
Step 4: Choose a title and also a description.
Step 5: Click Post to IGTV
There are things you can also add to IGTV video before publishing it as follows.
- First, you can tap Add to series if you want to add your video to an IGTV series. ( we’ll explain how to create an IGTV series below)
- Also, you can tap Post a preview in order to post the preview of your video in the feed and on your profile. A preview consists of the first 15 seconds of your video by default. If you’d like to customize it, tap Edit preview. Note, this option is just available for 9:16 videos. You can’t crop 16:9 video formats. When everything is ready, tap Save in the top right.
- Moreover, you can edit your profile cover by tapping Edit profile cover.
- If you have already linked your Instagram account to Facebook, tap Facebook and watch to share your video on Facebook as well.
How to upload to IGTV from desktop computer
It should be noted that Instagram now allows users to upload IGTV videos via desktop. But bear in mind that this only works if you’ve uploaded at least one video on IGTV- if not, then you have to use the app itself.
If you’ve already uploaded a video, then head to your account on the desktop version of Instagram, then click on the IGTV tab. There is a blue upload button. Touch it and upload your IGTV video!
How to create an IGTV series?
IGTV’s series feature undoubtedly has given brands a big opportunity to stay in touch with their audience consistently. If you are looking for a way to guarantee your brand’s awareness and growth, create high-quality content for your IGTV series.
Since the IGTV series is a grouped content together, it encourages users to keep watching to see other related content.
Creating IGTV series is quick and simple besides, whether you want to create an IGTV series on your Instagram app or IGTV app, the steps will be the same. Let’s dive into the steps to create one.
- Start by uploading the video that you want to share on IGTV. (we said how to upload an IGTV video above)
- Once you upload the video, make sure you are the window where you can enter your title and description. Then tap Add to series.
- After tapping Add to series, you’ll either have the choice of adding your video to an existing series, or creating a new one. If you mean to create your first series, tap Create your first series.
- All you need to do then is to give your video a title and an interesting description to get users excited about it. Fill them out, and then tap the blue checkmark in the top right.
- Make sure the series you want your video to be a part of is selected. At the end, tap Done in the top right.
Note: You can continually add new videos to your series at any point.
How to schedule an IGTV video?
Luckily, Instagram allows you to schedule your IGTV video. When you schedule your video, it will automatically appear on your feed at the scheduled time.
Looking for a way to schedule your IGTV video? The best way possible is using a third-party tool like AiGrow to manage whatever related to your Instagram account, from scheduling your posts to guarantee your account growth using its growth service and so much more.
Let’s take a look at the AiGrow schedule service to digest how you can take advantage of this service to be able to schedule your IGTV video with ease and more importantly saving a lot of time.
- Sign up on AiGrow and connect your Instagram account to its dashboard.
- Click on the Instagram account, you’d like to manage.
- Head to post and scheduling.
- Select IGTV from the drop-down menu
- First of all, upload your video, next select a cover photo, then give it a title as well as a description, after that add hashtags and if you would like to post previews of your IGTV, simply check off the box.
- Finally, select one or more dates and times for your post to be published and click the Schedule button.
How can I download an Instagram IGTV video?
There are times when you really like to save an IGTV video. Since it isn’t possible to save the video by default on the Instagram app itself, you either need a tool called IGTV downloader, or you can use any browser to open your Instagram in.
How to download an IGTV video on a computer?
- First, open Instagram in any browser.
- Choose the IGTV tab on the desired account.
- Tap on the video you would like to save.
- Copy its URL from the browser address bar.
- Paste the copied link into the Instagram IGTV video downloader search bar.
- Press the Download button.
How to download an IGTV video on the phone?
- First of all, open the Instagram application on your smartphone.
- Find the IGTV tab and choose the video you want.
- Open the video and then click on the three horizontal dots.
- Tap copy the link.
- Paste this link to your Instagram IGTV video downloader.
- Finally, tap on the Download button.
Note: There are a lot of IGTV video downloaders; search and download one.
Adding IGTV to your Instagram marketing strategy is vitally important due to the fact that it gives you more time to stay in touch with the users to maximize your presence, brand awareness, and engagement.
Suppose you are looking for a way to save your time and manage anything, including your IGTV videos on Instagram at the same time. Here comes the best Instagram management service, AiGrow, to meet your needs.
Let’s give it a try to use only one of its tools, Scheduler, to schedule your IGTV video with ease.