Luckily, Instagram is no longer a simple photo-sharing app thanks to Instagram Stories, IGTV, and in-feed videos. There is no doubt that Instagram has turned into a unique social media and marketing platform with over 1 billion active users and 100 million posts uploaded every day. So knowing how to post a video on Instagram is of prime importance because it gives you the chance to boost your Instagram account and marketing strategies.
Are you ready to learn how to post a video on Instagram in order to implement effective video strategies? Let’s get started!
Why are Instagram videos important?
There are several reasons why you need to invest in videos on Instagram, especially for marketing. Firstly, despite the fact that photos are still the most popular post type, videos receive up to 21% more interactions.
So as time goes on, the engagement rate of videos is growing faster than photos and that means driving the most engagement to your Instagram account.
Secondly, videos are long enough to cover whatever you want to share completely and in-depth. Actually, they help you share your mean, feelings, and stories that can’t be conveyed in a single image.
Thirdly, the good news for you, especially if you are a business holder, consumers will love videos and stories on Instagram. The first thing they do before purchasing something is to check the brand’s products on Instagram rather than its web.
That’s why videos can simply build awareness around a campaign and product. Moreover, videos can fully educate your audience way more than photos do.
How to post videos on Instagram?
Due to the above mentioned reasons, it is vitally important to take advantage of Instagram videos as soon as possible, if you haven’t yet.
This article provides you with a step-by-step guide to figure out how to post a video on Instagram. You are able to share your videos on Instagram either as an in-feed post or as an IGTV(longer videos).
Besides, we let you see how you can post both IGTV and in-feed videos on Instagram using the app itself or an effective third-party app AiGrow.
Ready? Let’s dive in!
How to post a video on Instagram using the Instagram app 1# regular Instagram video posts(in-feed video)
Regular Instagram video posts are ones you can see when scrolling through the news feed. They are no longer limited to 15 seconds; the maximum length of these videos is 60 minutes.
Before uploading any videos on Instagram, you’d better know the technical specs in order to avoid Instagram compression that ends up losing quality.
|Instagram in-feed video technical specs|
|video length||Maximum of 60 seconds(3 seconds to 60)|
|video dimensions||Maximum 1080px wide|
|Frame rate||30 fps or below|
|Size||There is no limitation for file size but keeping your videos under 50MB is recommended.|
|Aspect ratio||Maximum= 4:5 / Minimum=1.91:1|
|Orientation||Square, portrait, and landscape|
- Open Instagram app on your device and click the + icon in the middle of the bottom menu.
- Tapping the + icon will open up your phone’s gallery. In order to switch to your videos folder, tap the gallery drop-down menu and choose your videos folder.
- From your videos folder, choose the video you intend to share. You can use the arrow icon right there to adjust your video to the screen if it isn’t square. This way, your video won’t be cropped to the square format by Instagram.
Note: You can also upload multiple photos or videos (carousel) to your feed.
- Once you choose your video, tap the blue arrow on the top right-hand corner. This way, you’ll be taken to a new page in which you can apply filters, trim your video, and choose a cover.
Note: The Trim option makes it possible for you to upload multiple video clips to be shared as a single video.
- In the opened window, you can set the details, including: writing a caption, tagging someone, and toggling on other platforms that you’d like to share your video on as well. Once you are happy, publish the post.
Note: You can also shoot a video using the Instagram built-in camera and post it directly to your feed if you don’t want to use your camera roll videos.
How to post a video on Instagram using the Instagram app 2# Instagram IGTV
IGTV is Instagram’s standalone TV. It allows you to upload longer videos in the time when you feel the need to share longer video formats. The good news is that Instagram IGTV is super easy to use and share.
Before getting started, let’s have a quick look at the IGTV video technical specs.
|IGTV video technical specs|
|Video length|| |
Maximum video length(uploading from the app) = 15 minutes
Maximum video length(uploading from desktop / larger accounts and verified accounts) = up to 60 minutes
|Video dimension|| |
1080 x 1920 pixels
The minimum resolution is 720 px
|Frame rate||30fps or below|
Videos that are 15 minutes or less = 650 MB max
Videos that are up to 60 minutes = 3.6 GB max
|Aspect ratio|| |
Vertical IGTV videos = 9:16
Horizontal videos = 16:9
|Orientation||Vertical / horizontal|
- The very first thing you need to upload your IGTV video is to create your IGTV channel. You have two possibilities in order to be able to create your IGTV channel. The possibilities are as follows.
How to create IGTV channel?
- Download the IGTV app and log in with your Instagram username and password. When you log into the app, tap the Settings gear icon and click Create Channel.
- In case, you don’t want to make use of IGTV app, you can simply create your IGTV channel using the Instagram app itself. We will discuss it in detail below.
Choose IGTV Video and then select the desired video. In the new opened you can set the details, including the title, description, etc. At the end, click the Post button to share your first IGTV video and create your IGTV channel.
Read this article that provides you with a full guide to IGTV.
- Navigate to your profile and tap the + icon in the top right-hand corner. Choose IGTV Video and then select the desired video from your camera roll.
- Once you select your video, you’ll be taken to a page in which you can choose a cover for your video either from your gallery or the video itself. Tap Next.
- The last step is to set the details, such as the title, description, editing the cover, post a preview, etc. When you are done with the details click Post to IGTV. That’s all!
Note: If this is your first time uploading an IGTV video, the IGTV channel will be automatically created as soon as you post the video to IGTV for the first time. Besides, a new section appears on your profile which is a tab dedicated to just your IGTV videos.
Note: You are also able to upload your IGTV video from the Instagram web using the desktop.
How to post a video to Instagram stories using the Instagram app 3# Instagram stories
The process of uploading a video to Instagram stories is almost similar to that of in-feed videos, with a few differences. Take a quick look at the process of posting stories below.
Here’s the story videos technical specs.
|Story video technical specs|
|Video length||Second to 15 seconds|
|Video dimension||1080 x 1920 pixels|
|Size||Try to stay under 15MB|
|Aspect ratio|| |
minimum=1.91:1 / maximum=9:16
(Instagram recommends an aspect ratio of 4:5 and 9:16)
|Orientation||Square, portrait, and landscape|
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap the + icon at the bottom of the page and then Story. By choosing Story, you can either choose a video from your camera roll or use the Instagram built-in camera to record your video and share it at the time.
- After opening your camera roll, you can choose the intended video. Once you choose the video, add text, effects, story polls, etc (optional). Tap Next and then Your Story.
It’s as easy as you can see. You have just uploaded a video to your story.
How to post a video on Instagram using a third-party app 4# regular Instagram video posts(in-feed videos)
The more popular Instagram gets, the more third-party apps appear out there to facilitate the process of managing your Instagram account with ease. But the question is, do you think all these apps work? Of Course not! You definitely need a trustworthy and effective app.
AiGrow is an Instagram management and growth service with powerful tools. One of its features is Scheduler that can help you either schedule your Instagram content(feed, story, IGTV) or publish it at the time.
How to post a video (feed) using AiGrow’s Scheduler feature
AiGrow’s user-friendly dashboard makes it easy as A, B, C to use its features. In the step-by-step guide below we’ll clarify how you can use this app to schedule and publish your in-feed videos.
- Sign up on AiGrow for free using your email address.
- From its dashboard, click Add an Instagram Account to connect your account to AiGrow’s dashboard. You need only your Instagram account username to do so.
Note: You can add up to 80 Instagram accounts to the dashboard.
- Choose the Instagram account that you intend to manage from the dashboard and click Manage Account.
- First, head to the Post & Scheduling tab. Next, tap the green button Schedule. Then Choose the Feed option from the drop-down menu.
- From the opened window, you can upload your content(video/photo) by simply dragging and dropping them. If you intend to upload a YouTube video, there is no need to download the video. You only need to paste the link of the YouTube video in the box.
Note: In case you want to upload a photo, you have the opportunity to search for the desired photo on Unsplash.
- By scrolling down, you can see other boxes below, including: Caption, Hashtags, Location. First, write your caption. Next, search and add your desired hashtags using AiGrow’s AI engine. Then find and add your location.
- There are 3 boxes right there below. 1- Scaleup Post: from here, you can toggle on to share your post on stories as well and choose multiple accounts that you’d like to share your post on.
2- Schedule Dates: Here you can decide if you want to post your content at the time or schedule a specific time to post it in the future.
3- Link Post: from here, you have the opportunity to connect your post to an external URL.
Note: If you schedule your content, AiGrow doesn’t send you any push notation. All you need to do is to sit back and wait for the set time to see your content published.
- In the end, click Submit to publish your content.
How to post a video (IGTV) using AiGrow’s Scheduler feature
As we said earlier, this feature also allows you to either publish or schedule your IGTV videos as well. Let’s get started to see how you can take advantage of this feature.
- Take the above mentioned steps to connect your Instagram account to AiGrow’s dashboard.
- From the dashboard, choose the account you’d like to manage and click Manage Account.
- Select the Post & Scheduling tab. Click the Schedule green button, then from the drop-down menu, choose IGTV.
- From the opened window, you can see the Content box in which you can add your video. You are also able to convert a YouTube video by simply pasting its link in the box.
- The second box you can see is Title & Description. In this box, you can add your title, description, and a clickable link or URL. Besides, you can also toggle on to post a preview that appears on your profile and feed.
- The Scale-up and Hashtags boxes are also included here. We discussed how you can use them earlier.
- The last box here is Schedule Dates. There you go! Post your content at the time or schedule a date to publish in the future.
- Don’t forget to click Submit once you are happy.
How to post a video to story using AiGrow’s Scheduler feature
The process of posting a video to your Instagram story using AiGrow service is almost the same as uploading IGTV and Feed videos with some small differences. Follow the steps below!
- Take the steps that we mentioned earlier in order to sign up on AiGrow and log into its dashboard.
- Head to Post & Scheduling tab, tap Schedule, and choose Story.
- From the opened window, add your content and set other details. Click Submit at the end.
AiGrow’s Scheduler pricing
AiGrow provides you with 3 Scheduler pricing plans including: Scheduler- Pro ($49), Post Plus ($39), Essentials ($19).
Posting videos on Instagram is vitally important to the fact that it can increase your engagement. In this article, we provided you with a full guide to posting different kinds of videos on Instagram using the app itself the Instagram management and growth service AiGrow. Uploading Instagram videos wouldn’t be a big deal next time, thanks to this guide.