Whether you have bought a new phone, or have been logged out accidentally, you’ll have to go through the Instagram login process again. It’s sometimes hard to recall a password you don’t often use. If you forgot your Instagram password, don’t worry. You can reset or change Instagram password quickly and easily.
This article teaches you not only how to change your current password to enhance your account security but also how to reset a forgotten Instagram password on any device using your email address, phone number, or your Facebook to contact you and verify your identity.
If you cannot access your email or Facebook to do so, there are still ways to log into your Instagram account.
Note: As long as you have access to the email address or phone number associated with your account, you can reset your password from the login screen on an Android, iPhone, iPad, or on the web at Instagram.com. If your account is linked to Facebook, you can always sign in to Instagram by selecting the Facebook sign-in option on the login screen.
How to change your Instagram password?
Currently, most people store their information on online platforms, including Instagram. Therefore, we need to prevent people from stealing our information. One simple way to do so is to change your password.
Let’s have a look at the guide below to see how you can change your password using a web browser or the app.
changing your Instagram password using a web browser
Fortunately, changing your Instagram password is also possible on the web. In fact, the process is actually much easier than it is in the app.
If you already know your current password, changing to a new one only takes a few seconds.
If you don’t, you need to reset it (scroll down to find out how to reset it).
- Log into your account at www.Instagram.com.
- Click your profile in the top right of the screen.
- Click on settings.
- Select change password.
- Enter your old password once, and your new one twice.
- Hit change password.
Changing your Instagram password using the app
The process of changing your Instagram password in the Instagram app is not as easy as it is on a web browser since there are more steps. If you find it confusing, let’s follow these steps.
- Log into your account in the Instagram app.
- Tap the account icon in the lower-right corner to go to your profile page.
- Tap the three horizontal lines (the hamburger menu) at the top right of the screen.
- Hit settings at the bottom.
- Tap security, then password.
- Enter your current password once, then the new password twice.
- When you’re done, tap the check icon in the top right corner to save.
How to reset your Instagram password?
Sometimes you need to go through the login process again due to several reasons, but what if you can’t remember your password. You can easily reset it on different devices using your email address or your user name, a message on your phone number, and your Facebook account.
Reset your Instagram password using an Android
Note: the following steps vary a bit on IOS.
- Open Instagram on your phone and select Get help signing in on the screen. It’s just below the Log in option.
Note: you may have to tap Log in first.
2. Enter your username, phone number, or email address which is associated with your account.
Note: Make sure you have access to this email address or phone number to complete the reset password process.
Note: If your Instagram account is already linked to Facebook, first tap Log in with Facebook at the bottom and then sign in with your Facebook account. If you don’t know your Facebook login information, see how to change Facebook password on Android.
3. Then tap the blue Next button.
Depending on your choice (email address, phone number, user name) in the early stages, one of the following things will happen.
- If you enter an email address, a confirmation link will be sent to that address.
- A confirmation link or code will be sent to that number via SMS text message if you enter a phone number.
Actually, if you entered a username, you’ll be given the option to select a method to receive your confirmation code. The methods vary depending on how you signed up for your account. Tap Send an SMS to receive it via phone, or Send an email to receive it via email.
4. Tap ok to confirm.
5. Open the email or text message from Instagram containing a link that begins with https://ig.me.
6. First, tap the password reset link, then a page will pop up. That’s where you can type in a new password for your account.
Note: If your text message contains a code instead of a link, enter it into the blank on Instagram and tap Next to verify it.
7. Enter your new password twice.
8. Tap reset password at the bottom of the page. Now you can log into your account with your new password.
Reset an Instagram password using a web browser
- To open the Instagram login page go to https://www.instagram.com/ in a web browser.
- Click Forget Password? At the bottom of the form and continue with this method.
Note: If you created your Instagram account using your Facebook login, click Log in with Facebook instead, and then sign in with your Facebook account. If you don’t know your Facebook password, see How to Reset Your Facebook Password When You Have Forgotten It.
- 3. Enter the email address, phone number, or username associated with your account.
- Click the send login link button.
5. Open the email or text message from Instagram. The message contains a link that begins with https://ig.me.
6.Click or tap the password reset link. This takes you to a page where you can type in a new password for your account.
- in the two text fields listed on this page, you can type in your new password twice.
- To be able to access your Instagram account using your new password, tap reset password at the bottom of the page.
How to reset your Instagram password without email?
If you remember your username but not your email address, you can simply reset your Instagram password by clicking on this link on your computer.
After clicking on the link you’ll see a page to enter your username, then click send. You should receive (in 24 or 48 hours) a link to reset your password in your mailbox.
When you receive the link, it’s time to set a new password and save the changes.
To sum up, Sometimes it’s vitally important to change your Instagram password to keep your account safe. Moreover, there are times when you need to reset your Instagram password due to some reasons such as buying a new mobile, etc. Take action to learn how to do so using this article to not only recover your account by resetting your password but also to keep your account secure by changing your password from time to time.